A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued for parts of the Gold Coast.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 2:25 pm, severe storms were detected near Mudgeeraba.
These storms are moving towards the east and are forecast to affect Nerang by 2:40 pm and Miami by 3:20 pm.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The warned cells form part of a line of storms extending from Mount Tamborine to Tweed Heads.
The bureau warns heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds are likely.
Almost 40mm of rain fell in the gauge at Tallai in the 30 minutes to 2:30pm.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Never drive, walk or ride through flood waters. If it’s flooded, forget it.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
To stay up to date with the latest warnings as they are issued, click here.